From Maryann "That little girlie is a great traveler. She slept a lot of the way, but would occasionally get up and look out the window ... then come up between the console and give ear kisses. Clay is smitten ... he talks to her in a falsetto voice. :)"
"We got home and took her right outside. I then got Dempsey from his crate and put his slip lead on. They smelled and smelled. At first, MJ didn't even appear to notice him! He sure noticed her! But after awhile, then SHE started sniffing. Off came Dempsey's slip lead ... then they roamed the backyard together."
"It was starting to get dark but I did get a "family portrait" of Clay and both Boxers."
"After awhile, I let Olly out. He was a bit more "forward" than Dempsey and MJ growled at him. Olly learned real quick. From then on, they did just fine."
I'm going to finish up with the photo of the new family in the truck ready to go home for the first time.
![]() |
| Josie, Dempsey and Clay |
Josephine Marcus - always called Josie - was a real woman who met Wyatt Earp in Tombstone, AZ. After the gunfight at the OK Corral ... and the resulting problems with the Cowboys (a gang headed by Ike Clanton), Wyatt left AZ and ended up finding Josie again in San Francisco. They lived the rest of their lives together, probably in a common law marriage because nobody can find a marriage certificate. They did, however, present themselves as married. So, while she was a movie character, she was very real and played a part in Arizona history.
Best of all, it was name she responded to best so she chose it for herself.
As for the end of the story, Clay says it best:
"I want to thank everyone who was involved in this. I will never forget it and neither will Josie or Dempsey!!! Mom, thank you for being you and telling me there is always a way!!! At times in one's life we wonder if there are still good people out there that would do great and wonderful things for strangers, or anyone for that matter, and not expect anything to gain or in return. I was someone who often asked myself that question. I am a true believer now that there are more true and kind people out there than not. I also want to thank Greater Ohio Boxer Rescue (Rachel), for trusting me in giving Josie a great life. I would like to also thank those of you that were not directly involved but sent messages of a safe journey and wanted to know step by step what was happening and following JOSIE all the way home!!! Remember to pay it forward. I know I WILL!!!! Thanks to all and thanks for welcoming me to the BML!!!"
And all of this... this is what makes the BML so very special.
The End





I love "happily ever after" stories and Josie surely does look HAPPY!!
ReplyDeleteI have no doubt that the happily ever after began the moment Clay asked about that little white Boxer girl on the GOBR website!
ReplyDeleteI hope when Clay finds the time he can give us little updates on Miss Josie, (MJ...hehe) that we have all come to love.
Judy Humphrey, Gracie, Gabriel and Cullen
Greensburg,PA
Josie is a cutie for sure. And this has been a wonderful story. Thanks, Carrie, for doing such a wonderful job of tellling that story!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great story.
ReplyDelete